History of Finchley Choral Society
The origins of Finchley Choral Society date back to the beginning of the twentieth century, although a mention in the local press in 1903 would suggest that the Choral Society originally performed under the name of North Finchley Choral Society.
The FCS name was adopted in 1930 under the conductor Mr HG Crellin. Having survived the two World Wars, in 1948, the society became
affiliated to the National Federation of Music Societies, now known as Making Music. Since then the society has continued to flourish and today has some 90+ members, sharing a passion for music and singing, and performing in venues primarily in central and North London,
FCS celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1953. The Music Director was Mr Herbert J Baggs FRCO and during that year performances included Elgar’s The Dream of Gerontius and Mendelssohn’s Elijah.
In 2003 for the Society’s centenary celebrations, FCS performed two major concerts in June and November. Popular composers featured included Mendelssohn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Haydn and Britten.
Previous Conductors/Music Directors
Alan Barlow 1957 – 1983
Michael Hamm 1983 – 1999
George Vass 1999 – 2007
Grace Rossiter 2007 – Current
Richard Harvey – current accompanist since 1986